Noise Abatement Procedures CYYZ

Scott Clifford

• Members
    • View Profile
Noise Abatement Procedures CYYZ
« on: February 09, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
For those following along, Navigraph chart 10-4B has a peculiar section that some believe contradicts the use of any SID and I disagree. Therefore I am coming to the community for clarification. According to section B. the conditional hours are 7am to 11pm (pretty much all day) and following 1. Departure Procedure (b). SID routing shall be followed to 3,600' but for runways 33L/R "no unauthorized turns" until abeam the YYZ R-343/4.0 DME.

So some associates suggests this applies to all SIDs but (1) I interpret the turn restriction to 33L/33R ONLY. Yes or no?
(2) even if departing 33L/33R both paths will cross the YYZ R-343  before reaching SID published turn anyway but why does it say 4.0DME?

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Noise Abatement Procedures CYYZ
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:53:37 PM »
1. Departure Procedure (b). SID routing shall be followed to 3,600' but for runways 33L/R "no unauthorized turns" until abeam the YYZ R-343/4.0 DME.

So some associates suggests this applies to all SIDs but (1) I interpret the turn restriction to 33L/33R ONLY. Yes or no?
(2) even if departing 33L/33R both paths will cross the YYZ R-343  before reaching SID published turn anyway but why does it say 4.0DME?

Hi Scott.

Excellent question.

Noise Abatement procedures at airports are issued by airport authorities (as opposed to SIDs, which are designed by NavCanada), and are generally designed to complement SIDs, but often there is some conflicting or vague information.

To answer your specific concern:

1) The Noise Abatement procedure (though poorly worded, I agree  :o ), applies to ALL SIDs and ALL Runways. So in Toronto, there are NO TURNS permitted below 3,600' for jet aircraft (except a small list of very light jets).

2) The 343/4.0 YYZ is actually a bearing-distance fix. That is, 4.0 miles from YYZ on the 343 radial. So it is not a question of crossing that 343 radial, but no unauthorized turns are permitted until the aircraft has passed abeam the point 343 @ 4.0 miles. This is a strange throwback to an old fix that used to exist there called MALTN, and the old SIDs used to require departures off 33R/L to actually fly over this fix before they turned. It is indeed a very strange way to refer to that point given that MALTN (a) no longer exists and (b) the SIDs don't fly over that specific point anymore. The more sensible way to refer to this restriction would be passing 4.0DME YYZ, but this has never been updated. (See my point above about the airport authority publishing the noise abatement procedure and I agree that this is very poorly worded and quite confusing.  :o )

So now that we have correctly defined the fix, you see that pretty much all jets should easily make their turn height long before passing abeam the 343/4.0 fix.

I hope that helped!
Rob
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Scott Clifford

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
1) The Noise Abatement procedure (though poorly worded, I agree  :o ), applies to ALL SIDs and ALL Runways. So in Toronto, there are NO TURNS permitted below 3,600' for jet aircraft (except a small list of very light jets).

So if we examine a departure URSAL3 off runway 23 is dep hdg 237 until 1100 or above then climbing right turn hdg 245 or as assigned. So interpreting this procedure this jet aircraft will be making a turn albeit a small one well before 3600 feet. This is the confusion. The SID clearly references 10-4 Noise Abatement Procedures on the Navigraph charts. Obviously, 1100 or above can be interpreted at hdg 237 until passing 3600 then turn 245 but, why the 1100? Seems too confusing to include this in the chart just to accomodate a few light jets that are excepted from the 3600 prohibition.

2) The 343/4.0 YYZ is actually a bearing-distance fix. That is, 4.0 miles from YYZ on the 343 radial. So it is not a question of crossing that 343 radial, but no unauthorized turns are permitted until the aircraft has passed abeam the point 343 @ 4.0 miles. This is a strange throwback to an old fix that used to exist there called MALTN, and the old SIDs used to require departures off 33R/L to actually fly over this fix before they turned. It is indeed a very strange way to refer to that point given that MALTN (a) no longer exists and (b) the SIDs don't fly over that specific point anymore. The more sensible way to refer to this restriction would be passing 4.0DME YYZ, but this has never been updated. (See my point above about the airport authority publishing the noise abatement procedure and I agree that this is very poorly worded and quite confusing.  :o )

So now that we have correctly defined the fix, you see that pretty much all jets should easily make their turn height long before passing abeam the 343/4.0 fix.

Well hopefully an update will remove that 343 radial.  Thanks very much for helping me understand these procedures.

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
That slight turn off 23/05 to the north is for spacing.  The runway are technically just a little too close to be run independently but they are far enough apart that YYZ has been given an exception, but to create the spacing and make sure there isn't a loss of separation, those off the north runway should turn north that little bit, to 245 or 047, depending on direction and maintain that heading until assigned otherwise.  That small turn still falls within noise abatement procedures.

Runway heading to 1000/1100, then 245/047 until assigned a turn, or if on unicom above 3600.  If you're on 24R/06L, just runway heading.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

Scott Clifford

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
Thanks again all for clearing this up. I was diving in to the Navigraph charts, Jeppesen website, Pearson website. My associate was addiment that the procedure were contradictory. After researching SIDS most are compliant with noise procedures (and where they are not there is usually an alternate SID that is specifically designated a noise abatement procedure). What was funny was in YYZ the procedure was listed from 7am to 11pm and secondary from 1101pm to 659am accordingly. Happy landings all!

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:31 AM »
If I can throw out some further information to further clarify for anyone reading this:

1) The key phrase in the noise abatement is "SID routing shall be followed to 3600, ... no unauthorized turns until abeam YYZ 343/4.0." The turns specified in the SID are authorized by being published on the SID. So the turns to 047, 235, 245, 327 are all considered authorized and required. What is not authorized is turns on course prior to 3,600.

2) The turns off of 05, 23, 24R, 24L all exist as stated to provide increasing separation between parallel departures. 06L and 06R have no such turn, as this could cause issues with Toronto's tallest freestanding obstacle (the CN Tower). Hence the turn off 05 is greater to compensate and always maintain a minimum 10degree divergence between parallel departures. Therefore these turns are mandatory to ensure increasing safety and avoid the possibility of one departure drifting into the path of another when less than normal 3 mile separation exists.

3) 1,000 feet is the first turn height in most cases because standard IFR operations do not allow for departures to turn until reaching a minimum altitude of 400 feet AGL. (CYYZ 569' + 400' = 969' which is rounded up to 1,000') Manufacturers and performance calculators do not generally allow turns below 400 feet unless there is an absolute need (close in obstacle), as the possibility of an engine failure while turning at low altitude could cause undue risk due to diminished climb performance while turning.

4) The turns off of 33L and 33R are purely for noise abatement, due to residential neighbourhoods northwest of the airport, though north of the airport is primarily industrial.

5) Safety will always trump Noise Abatement. Noise Abatement is our best effort to mininize noise to surrounding communities, but when safety margins will be eroded, or an emergency exists, noise abatement will be secondary to safety.
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Scott Clifford

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »
Once again, thank you very much for making this crystal clear. Appreciate it!