NON-RNAV IFR flights

Piotr Zielinski

• Members
    • View Profile
NON-RNAV IFR flights
« on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Hi,
I've recently started my real life IFR training and I am looking forward to fly IFR approaches on VATSIM in small GA aircrafts. I was active on European virtual sky few years ago, where I knew what non-rnav pilot could expect and was was expected from him.

As I can't find appropriate GPS unit for GA aircrafts with up-to-date nav database, please advise what can I expect if I would like to fly non-rnav on Canadian virtual sky? Is it ok to conduct flights using standard radio/nav equipment without RNAV capabilities? I would like to navigate using conventional navigation.

Thanks,
Peter

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
Re: NON-RNAV IFR flights
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
Hi,
I've recently started my real life IFR training and I am looking forward to fly IFR approaches on VATSIM in small GA aircrafts. I was active on European virtual sky few years ago, where I knew what non-rnav pilot could expect and was was expected from him.

As I can't find appropriate GPS unit for GA aircrafts with up-to-date nav database, please advise what can I expect if I would like to fly non-rnav on Canadian virtual sky? Is it ok to conduct flights using standard radio/nav equipment without RNAV capabilities? I would like to navigate using conventional navigation.

Thanks,
Peter

Certainly can fly radio / nav equipment.  i.e. VOR to VOR.   

The other option would be something like Aivlasoft EFB add-on.  Run on a 2nd or same PC.  You can update that database with Navigraph and it will inject your route into your GPS.

https://www.aivlasoft.com/