CYYZ De-Icing Question

David Crewson

• Members
    • View Profile
CYYZ De-Icing Question
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:21:25 PM »
A first for me yesterday, was flying into CYYZ with snow, poor weather and upon tuning to Ground and listening to ATIS, there was something about if you require De-Icing, let ground know. As I was taxiing, there were calls to go to the central de-icing...I've searched about this but can't find a procedure, what happens when you go there, how long etc.

Does anyone have any information on the de-icing procedures.
Thanks
Dave

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
Re: CYYZ De-Icing Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »
Some people simulate de-icing procedures, I think there are some addons you can get to actually simulate it, otherwise, they just ask for it, get taxied to the de ice pads, wait a few minutes pretending they are getting de-iced and then call for taxi to the runway.  How long they wait usually depends on the equipment they are flying, obviously takes longer to deice a 777 than a 737 or 320 can be anywhere from a just a few minutes to 10 -15.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

David Crewson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 12:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the note. I am fairly new to VATSIM/VATCAN and I kinda thought that is what might be going on. Still a cool realistic feature though. I'll have to try it out next time.

Also do you know for X-Plane/Vatsim if there is a realistic weather package that depicts actual weather on ground. For example flying into CYYZ yesterday it was calling for snow (which I saw in the air) but also the ATIS said runways had light snow/slush etc. and when I broke through, the runway appeared as it normally does during dry conditions but the Tower asked me about landing conditions and braking - didn't know how to answer that or if it does simulate conditions if it doesn't actually show them.

Cheers and I appreciate your answers,
Dave

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »
I don't know if there is, it wouldn't surprise me to find one.  I just use Active Sky for my weather but i don't think it really does anything with weather on the ground like wet/snowy runways.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

David Crewson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:31:28 PM »
Thank you Ben for your time.

I was wondering about getting Active Sky but have read conflicting stories. Obviously you have it and so I am wondering your review of it. I currently use the built in X-Plane weather generator when on VatSim...have you noticed improved weather with Active Sky?
tks
d

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »
I'm on P3Dv4, i like Active Sky for weather, seems to be pretty accurate, it can be a bit of a process hog if you tune it way up but i like it.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 02:04:17 PM »

Does anyone have any information on the de-icing procedures.

From an airport perspective, most Canadian airports, especially those with a Central Deice Facility will have a chart with information published about the CDF. Check your chart source. CDFs, like all aprons, are uncontrolled. They will usually have a pad controller though that provides direction much like an apron controller. Most of the time on VATSIM, pad control is not simulated.

As far as aircraft, most aircraft have a specific deicing checklist as they must be configured a certain way. Things such as flaps staying up, trim full down, bleeds and packs off are some of the considerations so configuring and then reconfiguring for takeoff is a fun challenge.

And lastly, timewise, application depends on the number of trucks in use, the size of your aircraft, and whether you need Type I or Type I and IV fluid. The real issue is that in active precipitation, the fluids are only effective for a limited time, known as the HoldOver Time or HOT. You must depart before your HOT expires. This can be a real challenge depnding on taxi routes, traffic, etc.
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com