Moncton Monday adventure

Ken Greenwood

• Members
    • View Profile
Moncton Monday adventure
« on: August 17, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
thought I'd take the PMDG 737-700NGX out for a WestJet hop across the pond to EGPF - Glasgow.  Mebbe fly it across, mebbe just get on the ocean and disconnect - see how it goes.  Loaded everything up, researched and filed an appropriate route - weather in Halifax is lousy 600 and 4 in rain - away we go

start up and taxi out is normal - poured the coal to 'er - rotate positive climb gear up retracting flaps on schedule  --  uncommanded 20 degree roll to the left - whoa, caught quite a gust  --  nose dipped  DON'T SINK warning  sheeit  Got 'er back on course and was cleared all the way to 330 and direct NOTOP.  Set the heading bug in the general direction of NOTOP before setting the FMC for a direct route  --  the bugger rolls thru the heading and continues the right turn.  Disconnect the autopilot, reestablish H080 or so and a 5ish degree nose up climb for 2000fpm - reset OTTO in heading/VS mode - seems stable.  Request direct JOOPY, my ocean entry point, and cleared as requested - set the FMC and boom - on course.  Coupla minutes later another uncommanded turn to the right  --  huh?  reset - but the a/c will not hold a course for longer than 2-3 minutes at best

trying to trouble shoot - did I frig up the trim, FMC inputs NFG, but everytime I'm looking away the airplane drifts off course.  Ask centre to level off as I may have a problem - granted - and I start considering options.  Well at the very least I gotta return to HZ - no way I'm trying to meander across the pond in this wounded beast.  Get clearance to return to Halifax and start a descent - it's getting REAL bad - will not hold a heading, like driving an old garbage truck down a gravel road.  Basically on the edge of uncontrollable.  So now I'm hand flying a fat, heavy 737 in cloud at night to a destination that's 400 and 2 and wondering if I'm going to Scully it in Halifax Harbour

well, intrepid friends - thanks to the great help of Paul Dean, Jeff McMillan and Jack Koskie - managed to get the wounded beast back on terra firma - partial panel - no NavDisplay (thank gawd my loc bars worked).  It was so bad when Paul switched me to HZ_APP and the 15 seconds or so I was looking at the radio panel to tune in 119.2 - when I came back to the main panel view I was greeted with  BANK ANGLE and an uncommanded 45 degree bank to the left.

anyway, great fun as always in the hobby - but what a workout!!

Ken Greenwood

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Moncton Monday adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »
believe I've found the source of my 'issues'  --  my Saitek EVO joystick is causing intermittent throttle inputs on the left engine - from near max throttle to even engaging thrust reverse - have attempted re-calibration but seems to be near death  --  ahh well, guess it's upgrade time

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
believe I've found the source of my 'issues'  --  my Saitek EVO joystick is causing intermittent throttle inputs on the left engine - from near max throttle to even engaging thrust reverse - have attempted re-calibration but seems to be near death  --  ahh well, guess it's upgrade time

Yup, Saitek will do wonderful things.

Ken Greenwood

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
actually - found it was a calibration issue - both FSUIPC and Windows were attempting throttle calibration configuration leading to all sorts of 'good fun'  --  deleted my FSUIPC.INI file and all's well

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »
actually - found it was a calibration issue - both FSUIPC and Windows were attempting throttle calibration configuration leading to all sorts of 'good fun'  --  deleted my FSUIPC.INI file and all's well

I use FSUIPC and spad.next.  Reason being is for different aircraft and having different configurations. Ie dash 8 will be different then a BE60 or B739.

I get rid of the configurations within P3D itself.