Calgary SID/route filing question

Ken Greenwood

• Members
    • View Profile
Calgary SID/route filing question
« on: July 14, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
hithere - have been flying several routes in/out of CYYC lately in the majestic q400 and have noticed something that is making me scratch my head...

looking at FlightAware - WEN files several routes via IPSIT (specifically the YQU and YXJ flights) - IPSIT fix is depicted on both the BANFF and STAMPEDE departures which are 'jet only'

I was corrected recently, rightfully so, for filing a 'jet' fix for a 'non-jet' departure  --  however, if I utilize the 'realworld' route from flightaware it is indeed filing a jet fix for a non-jet departure

does YYC terminal treat q400s as jets or am I just missing something

cheers - Ken

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Calgary SID/route filing question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »
hithere - have been flying several routes in/out of CYYC lately in the majestic q400 and have noticed something that is making me scratch my head...

looking at FlightAware - WEN files several routes via IPSIT (specifically the YQU and YXJ flights) - IPSIT fix is depicted on both the BANFF and STAMPEDE departures which are 'jet only'

I was corrected recently, rightfully so, for filing a 'jet' fix for a 'non-jet' departure  --  however, if I utilize the 'realworld' route from flightaware it is indeed filing a jet fix for a non-jet departure

does YYC terminal treat q400s as jets or am I just missing something

cheers - Ken

Air Traffic so quiet lately, maybe real world not being concerned.  Who knows...

Josh Agins

• CZEG Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Calgary SID/route filing question
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
YYC terminal treats Q400 as turboprops and not jets. However this route should not be a problem since it's most direct to that area above FL180.

On the SID in the narrative portion of the Rodeo2 departure, which is what we assign to turboprops in the normal runway configuration, says "Climb to maintain 7000 for vectors to assigned route or depicted fix".

Since we don't see as much traffic as some FIRs do and can easily maintain the separation if needed. Also in the real world pre-pandemic I believe this route was flown daily by WEN.

Thank you for the feedback and I'll relay this to our guys as a reminder.
Josh Agins
CZEG Chief Instructor