Tonight's Moncton Monday - an amusing tale

Jay Lawrence

• Members
    • View Profile
Tonight's Moncton Monday - an amusing tale
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
As a new guy, my recent habit is to fly VFR near, but not in, active controlled airspace. I monitor Unicom as required on COM1, while I listen to (usually) the Center controller on COM2. It gives me a better idea of procedures and systems, and frankly makes a more immersive experience while enjoying some flying.

So tonight while flying over the Bay of Fundy I got an unexpected "Contact Me". While trying to get to the right frequency, I first fumbled by contacting the wrong controller. I continued to fumble by further replying, in text, half to the original "contact me" PM and half in the Moncton Center frequency, no doubt to the amusement of all on the channel as I type seemingly nonsense text in the middle of an event. I couldn't even tell you how I split a text message into two vPilot windows but here we are. I managed to get it together and ended up with flight following to my destination, a blissfully short sunset flight to Yarmouth.

At least I am pretty sure I had my phraseology correct for Moncton Center, so that's something.

ZQM, thanks for your patience with the new guy. Learning is fun.

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's Moncton Monday - an amusing tale
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:49:02 AM »
As a new guy, my recent habit is to fly VFR near, but not in, active controlled airspace. I monitor Unicom as required on COM1, while I listen to (usually) the Center controller on COM2. It gives me a better idea of procedures and systems, and frankly makes a more immersive experience while enjoying some flying.

So tonight while flying over the Bay of Fundy I got an unexpected "Contact Me". While trying to get to the right frequency, I first fumbled by contacting the wrong controller. I continued to fumble by further replying, in text, half to the original "contact me" PM and half in the Moncton Center frequency, no doubt to the amusement of all on the channel as I type seemingly nonsense text in the middle of an event. I couldn't even tell you how I split a text message into two vPilot windows but here we are. I managed to get it together and ended up with flight following to my destination, a blissfully short sunset flight to Yarmouth.

At least I am pretty sure I had my phraseology correct for Moncton Center, so that's something.

ZQM, thanks for your patience with the new guy. Learning is fun.

I'm sure you did well!

Jagard Strong

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
Hey Jay,

I was the controller that handled you. You did as I expected VFR departing St.John airport does not need to contact Centre and going into CYQI they need to monitor local frequencies. You did everything just fine!
Moncton FIR
Events Coordinator
www.czqm.ca

Jay Lawrence

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
Thanks folks! See you again