NOTAMs Coming Up

Kolby Dunning

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
NOTAMs Coming Up
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »

Are we going to simulate this? Some start tomorrow, although it only looks like it will last until the 7th.

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
Re: NOTAMs Coming Up
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »
Why would we simulate NOTAM's that don't even last a day?  When have we ever done this?  If we, the Toronto FIR, decided to, we'd let our controllers know.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

Kolby Dunning

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:38:12 PM »
Simulate what??

The taxiways being closed.

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »
Simulate what??

For one day?  When have we ever done that??   The answer is never.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

Kolby Dunning

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
Simulate what??

For one day?  When have we ever done that??   The answer is never.

That's why I was asking. I wasn't sure.

Ben Stevenson

• CZYZ Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:10 PM »
Well if the Toronto staff decide to, we'll be sure to let our controllers know.
Ben Stevenson
Chief Instructor
Toronto FIR (CZYZ)
torontofir.ca

Matthew Cianfarani

• VATSIM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
Well if the Toronto staff decide to, we'll be sure to let our controllers know.

The level of attitude in your responses to an extremely valid question is intense...
Matt Cianfarani
Vice President - Network Infrastructure
VATSIM Board of Governors

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »
Kolby

Having been in the Toronto FIR for some time, I would imagine you might remember the only time we really adhered to NOTAMs like this.  I believe it was the long term closure of one of the taxiway junctions if I recall correctly.

The issue with NOTAMs is there is no definitive and cohesive way to ensure everyone is aware of them and follows the procs associated with them.  Add to that one that is only for 1 day.  It's really not worth the effort involved with letting everyone know.

Now if they were to shut down a taxiway for a month or similar.  Then it would likely be more worth the effort.

Out of interest.....what do you do in Winnipeg in this situation?  I am sure there must be similar NOTAMS there?
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Kolby Dunning

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 06:11:43 PM »
Kolby

Having been in the Toronto FIR for some time, I would imagine you might remember the only time we really adhered to NOTAMs like this.  I believe it was the long term closure of one of the taxiway junctions if I recall correctly.

The issue with NOTAMs is there is no definitive and cohesive way to ensure everyone is aware of them and follows the procs associated with them.  Add to that one that is only for 1 day.  It's really not worth the effort involved with letting everyone know.

Now if they were to shut down a taxiway for a month or similar.  Then it would likely be more worth the effort.

Out of interest.....what do you do in Winnipeg in this situation?  I am sure there must be similar NOTAMS there?

We try our best to adhere to all published NOTAMs at all times in Winnipeg. It's a part of our SOPs if I recall correctly.

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 07:37:53 PM »
Kolby

We try our best to adhere to all published NOTAMs at all times in Winnipeg. It's a part of our SOPs if I recall correctly.

Hey Kolby.  Even the 1 day ones?  How do you ensure it is communicated to all your controllers?  And adhered to?  Or is it more of an "advisory" honor system?
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Kolby Dunning

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
Kolby

Hey Kolby.  Even the 1 day ones?  How do you ensure it is communicated to all your controllers?  And adhered to?  Or is it more of an "advisory" honor system?

Yeah even the one day ones, I can admit in the past I have missed them though. The easiest way I've found to communicate it is to include via the ATIS and notify controllers coming online of anything. If they don't follow it, well that's their choice I guess. If they are on by themselves, I feel that they have the choice of whether or not to follow them, also considering traffic levels and other factors.

Jared Comeau

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:54:23 PM »
IMO, for a FIR that is online every day one way or the other, it makes no sense to have 1 person dedicated to looking up real world NOTAMs each and every day.  It makes no sense at all.

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 12:08:03 AM »
IMO, for a FIR that is online every day one way or the other, it makes no sense to have 1 person dedicated to looking up real world NOTAMs each and every day.  It makes no sense at all.

To play devil's advocate here - if you're a controller and in an FIR that's online every day, you should have knowledge of the ongoings of your FIR and/or airport you control. It only takes a minute to find the NOTAMs and read them over.

In case anyone here needs a link to use NAV Canada's NOTAM, METAR, TAF, etc services:
https://plan.navcanada.ca/wxrecall/  :)

Travis Chan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
Nate, the Toronto FIR has decided not to enforce minor NOTAMs and that is their choice, please remain respectful of that.

It was probably unintentional, but the last few posts have come off negatively. I remind all members that posting in these forums is subject to VATSIM COC, specifically A1 - Members shall, at all times, be courteous and respectful to one another.

Let's keep this in mind when responding to one another.
Travis Chan (1402756)
Deputy Division Director
travis.chan@vatcan.ca