vATIS To Be Used In Winnipeg (CZWG) FIR

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
vATIS To Be Used In Winnipeg (CZWG) FIR
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:56:02 AM »
Effective February 1st, 2020, the Winnipeg FIR will transition all ATIS makers to the vATIS program. This program modernizes, simplifies and allows for easy creation of ATIS files for the FIR’s airports.

vATIS merges the original EuroScope ATIS feature with a new look, much easier usage, as well as more customization thanks to a digital voice synthesizer.

Winnipeg FIR will be sending out a fully customized vATIS package for all its active and visiting controllers with custom ZWG files to make for a greatly improved installation, as well as instructions on how to install and configure the program for the FIR’s specific characteristics.

Users who are interested in merging to the vATIS program early, or are interested in learning more about the program can visit the vATIS website at vatis.clowd.io.

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
Re: vATIS To Be Used In Winnipeg (CZWG) FIR
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »
All

One thing I would like to add to Nate's excellent post.  This is a 1 month trial for now.

While I understand there has been some issues with the ES built in ATIS.  I also know those issues are going to be resolved in short order.

So the purpose of the trial is to get a sense of why vATIS will be better than the built in ES ATIS and also why it may NOT be better.  With anything out there, there is always pro's and con's and I would like to see both sides of this application before we decide what happens.

Thanks!
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Brad Crockett

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 10:32:23 PM »
We're using vATIS in Vancouver, and we are looking for a way to fix the reading of SM as 'metres' when it should be 'statute miles'. Has Winnipeg figured out a fix/workaround?

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:20 AM »
Haven't even noticed that as an issue, actually! I'd recommend posting on the vATIS forums for assistance with that one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:17:15 PM by Philip Dowling »

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  You have pointed out an issue that makes it decidedly UN-Canadian :)

Seriously tho....go slow.  With the pending changes to the ATIS used in ES.  I suspect vATIS is going to be a moot point for us north of the US border.
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Brad Crockett

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 02:59:11 PM »
Nate, I posted the question in the VATSIM vATIS forum on Jan 5th. No reply. In fact, that entire forum seems quiet.

Are you using international format or US? I switched to international to get rid of the duplicate ‘inform ATC you have information Bravo’ thing.

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
Are you using international format or US? I switched to international to get rid of the duplicate ‘inform ATC you have information Bravo’ thing.

That's a strange problem - we're on the US version, have never had that issue before.