Important News for xPlane Users

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Important News for xPlane Users
« on: January 06, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »
VATSIM has just announced that developers of clients for xPlane will be required to place an automatic disconnection feature in their clients if a user's framerate drops below 20fps and remains their for a specified period of time.

The reason is that xPlane's flight model requires a minimum 20fps to run. If the framerate drops below the 20fps threshold, xPlane slows the sim down to ensure that the model calculates 20 frames per second of sim time, even if this is slower than real time. So the sim rate is being slowed below real time without the user being aware.

This has been a long term issue, but as xPlane has become more popular, this has started to become a major problem during big events (FNO, CTP, etc) where aircraft are often issued minimum spacing. If one airplane is running at 70% speed (unbeknownst to the pilot), while the others are at 100%, this leads to loss of separation, go-arounds, and other headaches for pilots and controllers alike.

As a result, the clients will be required to automatically disconnect from the network if this happens for a prolonged period of time. (The time frame is currently unspecified but momentary dips below 20fps are ok, as long as they are not sustained.)

These disconnections are automatic and non-punitive. Users can reconnect right away, but may be disconnected again if the problem persists. The solution may simply be lower graphical settings.

More information at the official release:

https://www.vatsim.net/news/important-information-x-plane-users

This issue does not affect FSX/P3D as their flight model runs in a different manner.
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Michel Robichaud

• CZUL Staff
    • View Profile
    • CZUL FIR
Re: Important News for xPlane Users
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
As a result, the clients will be required to automatically disconnect from the network if this happens for a prolonged period of time. (The time frame is currently unspecified but momentary dips below 20fps are ok, as long as they are not sustained.)

I installed the latest xPilot client yesterday, which includes this feature. I am using the 3jFPS script that tweaks the rendering settings in real time when it drops below a certain level and I got warnings when I wandered below 20 FPS. The warnings I got were giving me timeframes between 17 to 25 seconds before disconnection, so we can assume the grace period to be in that range.

Good news is that I got another message telling me that my frame rate was ok as soon as I went back above 20 FPS, and that I would not be disconnected.

Michel.
Michel Robichaud

CZUL FIR Events Coordinator
VATSIM: P1,P2,P3,P4|C1