AFV is awesome!

Michel Robichaud

• Members
    • View Profile
AFV is awesome!
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:25:09 PM »
I had my first chance to try AFV (Audio For VATSIM, the new voice codec) tonight during a Beta Test with ZBW. I flew KBOS to CYUL, and I must say the new codec is awesome.

It simulates real VHF radio quite well:
  • you can transmit on any frequency, just dial and hit the PTT;
  • you hear the « kechunk » noise when you hit and release the PTT without talking;
  • planes far away are faint with static noise, and planes that are close are loud;
  • I was monitoring 122.8 on my COM2 radio and I was hearing traffic advisories from airports within range.

It really pushes the immersion one step forward, and we’ll have fun with it!

Let’s hope it gets released soon,

Michel
CZUL FIR
VATSIM: P4|S2

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
Re: AFV is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:21:58 AM »
Couldn't agree more Michel

I was there this evening also.  I have to say the whole team over there has done an incredible job with this and in my opinion done a significant amount of work in a pretty short timeframe given the complexities of what they tackled.

And not only that, a new and extremely familiar xplane client which I got to use tonight for the first time.  A joy as well!

Great stuff and exciting times ahead of us!!
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »
Wow!

I haven't had a chance to try out AFV yet, but these all sound like great additions to the network! I'll have to sneak on before it's public and play around with it.

Michel Robichaud

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
You can register for the Beta here: https://vats.im/beta

I don’t know when and if they accept everyone right now, I did express my interest about a month or two ago, and got accepted for last Wednesday’s test.

If you want to hear it for yourself, have a look at this: https://youtu.be/CVtutD-rdRw

There is also an « updated » version of Euroscope available to download from the Beta website, along with a stand alone version of AFV. I might give it a try this week-end.

Michel
CZUL FIR

Ben Stevenson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I participated in the FS Expo AFV test, definitely was awesome.  Registering now might be a moot point, from what i've read, the Boston event was (hopefully) the last beta test they were going to do before releasing it.

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »
Nate

Further to my emails on the subject, I need you to get registered to the BETA ASAP please.  There is FE things to be dealt with prior to release and right now, you are CZWG's FE :)

Let me know by email as soon as you have applied to the BETA.

Wow!

I haven't had a chance to try out AFV yet, but these all sound like great additions to the network! I'll have to sneak on before it's public and play around with it.
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
For those doing the Facility Engineering for AFV, I posted an important message on the Facility Engineer forum.  This is particularly for doing the transceivers.

Yanick Coulombe

• CZUL Staff
    • View Profile
    • FIR de Montréal
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 03:09:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to this since they said we'll be able to 'double-click' the PTT years ago.
Can't wait. Thanks to everyone helping with this.
Yanick Coulombe (965064)
FIR Chief - FIR de Montréal
y.coulombe@vatcan.ca
www.CZUL.ca

Vincent Rouleau

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
Planning an event to celebrate when the new codec go live? I still hold back my vatsim time because of the audio quality. Too many ‘say again’ from me for.

Vincent Rouleau

Travis Chan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »
Planning an event to celebrate when the new codec go live? I still hold back my vatsim time because of the audio quality. Too many ‘say again’ from me for.

Vincent Rouleau

Sorry didn't catch that, say again?
Travis Chan (1402756)
Deputy Division Director
travis.chan@vatcan.ca

Vincent Rouleau

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 09:24:32 AM »
For myself, i find that I need to ask to repeat instructions too many times still. So i can t wait for the new codecs. My understanding of voice is ok for when I listen for 'expected' instruction but i dont feel confident flying to klax or else. Just yesterday at yyz, I had to ask to repeat twice that ground was asking me to sqwack charlie.

Michel Robichaud

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
Vincent,

I suspect Travis was making a tongue-in-cheek comment! Anyway, you can come anytime in Montréal while I am online at the Tower and I can help you practice.

Michel.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:21:18 AM by Michel Robichaud »
CZUL FIR

Vincent Rouleau

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
 :), That is what I do the CYYZ-CYUL shuttle until the new codecs come around, then I'll feel more comfortable doing CYUL-KBOS.