Solo Certs

Kolby Dunning

• Members
    • View Profile
Solo Certs
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »
If my solo certification doesn't show up on www.vatcan.ca/info/solo but it shows up on our FIR website, which do I follow, and do I need to re-certify for my solo on Delivery and Ground?

Kolby Dunning
S2 - Toronto FIR

Kolby Dunning

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Certs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »
I think my solo certs end on May 1st, although I am unsure.
Kolby Dunning
S2 - Toronto FIR

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
Kolby

Not to worry, there is no expiry on local solo.
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Kolby Dunning

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
Kolby

Okay thanks Phil.
Kolby Dunning
S2 - Toronto FIR

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:29:23 AM »
Kolby

Curious on what a local solo policy is?   Below is Vatsim Policy that takes precedence.  The unfortunate part is that none of our websites in Vatcan, esp those of our own FIR's are in adherence.  i.e. More than one location, tracking and adhering to the 90 days...

I do suggest that solo certs be added to the Vatcan website to show at least some partial compliance.

Mark

https://www.vatsim.net/documents/global-ratings-policy
4.5   Controller Trainee Solo Validations - In order to allow a trainee to develop confidence and improve the mentor-trainee time ratio, solo endorsements can be used by an Approach Controller Trainee or an Enroute Controller Trainee  as follows: :

(a) APPROACH CONTROLLER TRAINEE

A candidate who is nearing their Approach/Departure Controller Practical Test, and who has been deemed competent in any theory assessment as part of their Approach/Departure Controller training, can be given temporary permission to practice solo on an Approach/Departure position with the rating of Student 2 (S2). Such validations shall:

Be limited to one training airport, and
    Be clearly listed on the local facility's website, detailing the member's name, VATSIM ID and the position(s) that they are validated on, and
    Have a maximum period of validity of 30 days, and
    Be subject to regular review, and
    Not be renewed/extended unless the candidate has made good use of the facility and has shown improvement over the period of validity of the solo endorsement, and
    Renewable for a total period of up to 90 days, with each renewal only to have a maximum period of validity of 30 days

(b) ENROUTE CONTROLLER TRAINEE

A candidate who is nearing their Enroute Controller Practical Test, and who has been deemed competent in any theory assessment as part of their Enroute Controller training,  can be given temporary permission to practice solo on an Enroute position with the rating of Student 3 (S3). Such validations shall:

Be limited to one training Enroute sector and not approved to extend coverage to adjacent Enroute sectors, and
    Be clearly listed on the local facility's website, detailing the member's name, VATSIM ID and the position that they are validated on, and
    Have a maximum period of validity of 30 days, and
    Be subject to regular review, and
    Not be renewed/extended unless the candidate has made good use of the facility and has shown improvement over the period of validity of the solo endorsement, and
    Renewable for a total period of up to 90 days, with each renewal only to have a maximum period of validity of 30 days

Such endorsement should not be considered as a substitute for proper, timely advancement of a trainee.

No such endorsement shall be given to any other Controller position other than as specified in Sections (a) and (b) above.

Andrew Ogden

• CZQO Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:26:10 AM »
Mark is 100% right. All solo endorsements have a 30 day expiry.

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:35:12 AM »
Hey Guys

Yes.  You are right.  However you will notice the policy you have posted clearly states Approach and Enroute.

Kolby was asking about his solo which is a local solo.  DEL/GND/TWR.

As far as I am aware (and I could be wrong) there is no policy on expiry of local solo.  As I understand it we don't register local solo's on the VATCAN site.

Thus my answer there is no expiry for local solo's.

If you know of a policy that I have not found yet....please forward it over.
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Owen Kane

• CZEG Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »
At CZEG we post "Local Solos" on the Vatcan site for Tower and Ground and Delivery. There are times when we have trouble attacking flights and doing local solos is a means to an end. Other FIR's have similar policies, I see no reason to stop it as the practice allows the student to progress at his or her own speed with real on scope time between continuing training sessions.

We all have busy lives and sometimes it is tough to coordinate a training session. VATCAN should endorse a "LOCAL FIR SOLO POLICY" something to bring up at a CI or Chiefs Meeting! Damn Rebels

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
Hey Owen

I agree with you, Toronto doesn't necessarily log them on the VATCAN site for DEL/GND/TWR (although I may have mistakenly done so in the past LOL).

However, I couldn't agree more, if there is nothing from VATSIM that would dictate how we handle LOCAL Solos, we should devise a VATCAN policy around it and I agree logging them would be a good plan. 

Also I agree we should add as an agenda item on the next Chiefs meeting in respects of time limits on the solo's.  I am unsure they are necessary, but would like everyone's input on that and we can collectively determine what time limit, if any, is appropriate.

Thanks!
Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Mark Walsh

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »
While we all have good intentions, by creating a Vatcan policy for this, you could be circumventing Vatsim policy. 

For example, although we all provide Tower Solo endorsements, and it's never been questioned, it can be!

4.5   Controller Trainee Solo Validations
.No such endorsement shall be given to any other Controller position other than as specified in Sections (a) and (b) above.

I would suggest consultation with BoG before doing so.

Jeff McMillan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
While we all have good intentions, by creating a Vatcan policy for this, you could be circumventing Vatsim policy. 

For example, although we all provide Tower Solo endorsements, and it's never been questioned, it can be!

.No such endorsement shall be given to any other Controller position other than as specified in Sections (a) and (b) above.

I believe Mark is correct on this. The Vatsim Global Rating Policy https://www.vatsim.net/documents/global-ratings-policy clearly states at only APPROACH CONTROLLER TRAINEE & ENROUTE CONTROLLER TRAINEE may be granted a Solo rating for a maximum period of 30 days which can be renewed 3 times for a maximum of 90 days total.

Although I also agree with Phil and Owen that there is a positive benefit of having Local Solo Rating for the controllers development, I think we should enforce the Vatsim policy until such time that we can meet with the BoG to discuss.

Jeff McMillan (1275572)
Communications & Events Director
http://www.vatcan.ca
j.mcmillan@vatcan.ca
VATCAN5@vatcan.ca

Philip Dowling

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN Website
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
Hey Mark

Thanks for the note.  I agree, no one wishes to circumvent VATSIM's policies and I am sure no one ever would, which is why any policy we do come up with will be thoroughly checked to ensure it is in line with VATSIM's intents and policies.

That being said, there is clearly a need for something here.  So I am going to spend a little time talking with my friends in VATUSA to see how they work this and chatting with folks in the GRP areas and I am quite sure we can find something that is in line with VATSIM's policies along with the needs of our FIRs.

That being said, let's allow it to rest there for now until I have done that.  Kolby's original question has been answered and that, after all, was the point of this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Mark!

Phil Dowling  (813710)
VATCAN Division Director

p.dowling@vatcan.ca
vatcan.ca

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
The key reason for the existence of the VATCAN solos page is to allow the VATSIM SUPs one easy page to check for the "Solo Certifications" allowed by the GRP.

So for anyone who is solo on DEP/APP/CTR, you must be on this page.

For anyone who is solo on DEL/GND/TWR, this page is not a requirement. Publication on your own FIR roster is enough.

(To me it's a confusing policy, but this is how VATSIM is set up right now.)

If you are missing from the solo page (or expire), be sure to talk to your instructor PRIOR to logging in to a position you are not rated for.
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com