Instructors vs. Mentors: Roles & Duties

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Instructors vs. Mentors: Roles & Duties
« on: March 15, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »
    There has been some confusion in the past about what Mentors can and cannot do, vs. what Instructors can and cannot do. After much debate, the following descriptions have been approved by a committee of all the Chief Instructors and myself.

INSTRUCTOR

Duties/Role
  • Abide by all VATSIM, VATCAN, and Local FIR Training Policies (including, but not limited to the Global Ratings Policy, VATCAN Division General Policy, etc.)
  • Provide initial and continuing instruction to students aspiring for higher controller ratings
  • Provide initial and continuing instruction to students seeking authorization for special positions that require separate authorization from a basic controller rating
  • Supervise students online who have not yet achieved sufficient competency for solo operation in a given position
  • May operate Sweatbox training sessions as needed for initial/continuing instruction
  • Maintain written training records in a central repository accessible to other trainers, FIR Staff, and VATCAN Staff
  • Monitor progress of students assigned to them specifically, including
    • Assign written exams to students when they are ready for solo practice or an OTS
    • Authorize solo practice for students in a position they are not rated for
    • Recommend students for an OTS Exam, and arrange for an adjudicator for said exam
  • Conduct OTS Exams when requested by other instructors
  • Generally provide support to students in their learning process
  • Are model controllers and lead the entire controlling team by example
Nominee Requirements
  • Must be a C1/C3 (or higher) Controller
  • Must have logged 50 hours online with a C1 (or higher) rating in their home FIR*
  • Well versed in MANOPS, FIR SOPs, and VATCAN/VATSIM Policy Documents
  • Demonstrated Commitment to spending time on the network
  • Considerable skill and knowledge for their certified positions
  • Excellent Oral and Written Communications Skills
  • Well respected by their peers
  • Eager to learn new information, and willing to accept criticism in the interest of personal growth
  • Shows great patience through difficult situations
  • Willing to follow the training curriculum as specified by the Director of Training and their FIR Chief Instructor
* This requirement may be waived with approval from the Director of Training.

Controllers selected to be an instructor will be issued an I1 rating (or I3 for C3 rated controllers)

Controllers who, in future, cease to be involved in training, may have their I1/I3 rating removed and their previous (C1/C3) rating restored.

Instructor Candidates will be recommended by their FIR Chief or FIR Chief Instructor and approved by the Director of Training.

MENTORS
Duties/Role
  • Abide by all VATSIM, VATCAN, and Local FIR Training Policies (including, but not limited to the Global Ratings Policy, VATCAN Division General Policy, etc.)
  • Provide monitoring and guidance to students aspiring for higher controller ratings or additional position authorizations
  • Supervise students online who have not yet achieved sufficient competency for solo operation in a given position
  • May be permitted to run sweatbox sessions to allow students extra opportunities to practice their skills**
  • Make written training notes, reported to instructor or in a central repository accessible to other trainers, FIR Staff, and VATCAN Staff
  • May make recommendations to a student's Instructor if the student appears proficient enough to be authorized for solo practice, a written exam, OTS, etc.
  • Generally provide support to students in their learning process
  • Are model controllers and influence new students by example
Mentors will NOT
  • Provide a student their first lesson in a given position (online or in sweatbox)
  • Assign written exams, authorize students for solo, or schedule an OTS. (Mentors may recommend to an instructor that the student is ready for any of these activities, but the an instructor shall make the final determination and assign the action.)
Nominee Requirements
  • Must be an S3 (or higher) Controller*
  • Must have logged 25 hours online in their home FIR at their current rating*
  • Well versed in MANOPS, FIR SOPs, and VATCAN/VATSIM Policy Documents
  • Demonstrated Commitment to spending time on the network
  • Considerable skill and knowledge for their certified positions
  • Excellent Oral and Written Communications Skills
  • Well respected by their peers
  • Eager to learn new information, and willing to accept criticism in the interest of personal growth
  • Shows great patience through difficult situations

* This requirement may be waived with approval from the Director of Training.

** Mentors must receive approval from their Chief Instructor or FIR Chief to be permitted to conduct sweatbox sessions. Chiefs/CIs will forward the name of any mentor approved for sweatbox sessions to VATCAN3, who will maintain a list of sweatbox-authorized mentors. Not all mentors will be permitted to run sweatbox sessions.

Mentors will normally be selected by their FIR Chief or FIR Chief Instructor as needed and is normally a purely internal FIR assignment, unless the S3 requirement needs to be waived
[/list]
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Instructors vs. Mentors: Roles & Duties
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
FAQs

1) I have just been appointed as a mentor in my FIR. Can I run sweatboxes?

No. Mentors cannot automatically run sweatboxes. They must receive explicit permission and training from their Chief Instructor/FIR Chief prior to running sweatboxes.

Simply: "If you haven't been explicitly told that you CAN run sweatboxes, then you can't."
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com