ADS-B

Jim Allan

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
ADS-B
« on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
A question: Is oceanic going to start simulating ADS-B any time soon? As I understand it, GAATS+ has been online since 2015 utilizing this sort of surveillance.  In events like CTP, it would streamline traffic management and keep comms to a minimum.  Also, oceanic clx for East bound is done on a text base, well before the a/c enters the GOTA, and in some cases even before they depart an airport. 
My thinking is that if we keep current with real life, it will make all stakeholders happy to participate.

Cheers
Jim Allan
FIR CHIEF CZQM/QX

Richie Queally

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver FIR
Re: ADS-B
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
When is Aireon's space based ADSB coming into service ?
Richie Queally
VATéir C1

Tomas Hansson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
The same question was just asked in the VATSIM forums as well. As per Ross' reply, this is already simulated in VRC (and maybe Euroscope) except the 1 second refresh rate which is a network protocol issue.

https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77996
Tomas Hansson
VATSIM Supervisor

Andrew Ogden

• CZQO Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
Jim, I would be happy to hear any ideas regarding the implementation of simulated ADS-B surveillance.

Could you please email me at a.ogden@vatcan.ca?

Cheers,
Andrew

Jagard Strong

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »
Technically we are already operating on it. We can see anything and everything connected to the server.

Jeff McMillan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
Yes, Agreed that Gander needs to implement a text bases clearance system ASAP or else no one will want to control CTP East
Jeff McMillan (1275572)
Communications & Events Director
http://www.vatcan.ca
j.mcmillan@vatcan.ca
VATCAN5@vatcan.ca

Travis Chan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:22:19 AM »
The decision to use text based clearance is ideal but keep in mind Gander doesn’t opperate independently, it’s shared with Shanwick. With that in mind all decisions and procedures need to be agreed upon between the two FIRs and that adds a layer of complexity that will slow down its implementation.

Travis Chan (1402756)
Deputy Division Director
travis.chan@vatcan.ca

Jagard Strong

• CZQM Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:38 AM »
I think that when this topic comes to mind, most people think of a newly designed program to do such a task. It's not that complicated really... It just a private text received/sent to the pilot regarding their Oceanic route clearance. 

When controlling ZWY for CTP west one year, it worked great.  The only thing that would have to be agreed upon would be the set ALIAS commands.... which is pretty straight forward. A good number of VATSIM pilots are text only anyway... so what is the difference?  ???

Chriss Klosowski

• CZQO Staff
    • View Profile
    • Gander Oceanic - VATCAN
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:48:35 AM »
I've been working on a new set of files for 2019. Still in progress as I'm fine tuning some radar simulation stuff. Regarding text clearances that would require Probably VATCAN, CZQO and VATUK to put some proper sort of either an LoA or updated SOP.
Chriss Klosowski
Facilities Engineer, Gander Oceanic FIR (ZQO5)

Jeff McMillan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
So lets get it done!...CTP Committee still hasnt met. What are we waiting on?
Jeff McMillan (1275572)
Communications & Events Director
http://www.vatcan.ca
j.mcmillan@vatcan.ca
VATCAN5@vatcan.ca