Controller staffing - CTP Eeast 2018

Jagard Strong

• Members
    • View Profile
Controller staffing - CTP Eeast 2018
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
On behalf of Jim:

ZQM is looking for available controllers for this years Cross the Pond - Eastbound 2018 on October 27 11:00z. The majority of the traffic will be en-route but we may have some aircraft start inside our FIR to join the rest.

Looking at most routes between the Eastern/Mid North America to Europe (disregarding NAT routing) all traffic will flow through CZQM/QX airspace prior to reaching Gander Oceanic CZQX. So we will need all able persons to alleviate the workload.

Departures start @ 11:00z | Our first contact will be traffic from ZBW (if all goes smoothly) and quickly joined by ZNY, ZDC & YYZ traffic.

If you are able to control please indicate below by responding with your certification level, and the times you are available. Even if you can fill in for 40-60 minutes so someone can take a break would be much appreciated.

*Once an accurate roster has been collected, I will release a timetable along with any other information regarding CTP.

Jagard S.
CZQM
Moncton FIR

Brad Crockett

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Controller staffing - CTP Eeast 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
C1/I3 Available 1300Z-1800Z.

Jagard Strong

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:48 AM »
C1/I3 Available 1300Z-1800Z.

Plase contact me @ Jagard_strong@hotmail.com

So I can send you the google doc, and get you in the email chain.
Moncton FIR

Richard Quigley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
Gentlemen,
My apologies for bailing out on you after only 4 hours.   However, it was over half a century ago that I was 28 years old and it was one o'clock in the morning, local time, here in  South Australia.
Disappointing that so few Moncton controllers fronted up.  But, I think they were smarter then me.   Having done three of these previously you'd have thought I would have learned.   There's no fool like an old fool.
This one was definitely my last.  It's not really an enjoyable event for a controller. 
Catch you on a Moncton Monday maybe.

Quig

Jagard Strong

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
Richard,

First and foremost; there is no need for an apology. Everyone that controls these events understands that the traffic levels are unrealistic, and the infrastructure (software, hardware, communication limits) behind it all does not support the task at hand.

While I had experience controlling the event & planning the event. I was optimistic once again (happens every time) that this year would be better. I was warned that this will be nothing like I've experienced before. It sure wasn't! at one point my sector seen (ZV)  80 targets. ALL TRYING TO CALL at once. There is no way to manage that. From some conversations that I had with others... their sectors were equally busy or worse.

I will be emailing out my analysis from this event here shortly.

I thank you for your help Richard!

Jagard
Moncton FIR