Leadership of Toronto FIR

Alan Walker

• Members
    • View Profile
Leadership of Toronto FIR
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »
I'm new here since January and really appreciate how welcoming everyone has been in this group. Unfortunately, I have noticed there hasn't been a present FIR Chief since I have joined. I don't really know what this person is supposed to be doing, but I am picking up some negativity due to the vacancy. Can someone advise when this will be resolved? There has been obvious and clear leadersip from both Dean and Chris, it would seem obvious that one of them would be more than appropriate for the position. My apologies if this comes across as controversial, but it has been 7 months now.

Nathan Power

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN
Re: Leadership of Toronto FIR
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:31:17 PM »
Hi Alan!

We've been working hard recently to get interviewing the amazing candidates for Toronto's FIR chief vacancy. Were sorry for any confusion caused by the absence, but we hope to have things all settled in the coming weeks!

Alan Walker

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:26:14 PM »
Thanks Nate, can you give an update on what has been done in the process and what is remaining that would extend this process further over coming weeks? I understand I may have a simplified view as I am on the outside looking in, but is it not down to a decison between Chris and Dean?

Hi Alan!

We've been working hard recently to get interviewing the amazing candidates for Toronto's FIR chief vacancy. Were sorry for any confusion caused by the absence, but we hope to have things all settled in the coming weeks!

Nathan Power

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
    • VATCAN
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Hi Alan!

We will soon be starting interviews, so let me make it clear - we do not have any "finalists" for the position yet. We will reveal the successful applicant when they are.. well, successful!

Alan Walker

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:36:37 PM »
Nathan, thank you for the follow-up. I appreciate the work that everyone in leadership at Vatcan puts in for what are tireless volunteer roles. However, I am exteremely disappointed to read, that after 7 months, the leadership of Vatcan does not have anyone in mind for this role. It was my expectation that leadership of the FIR would be chosen from individuals who had previously volunteered their time in leadership. Chris was serving as the deputy FIR chief and Dean the lead instructor. The fact that interviews are being conducted suggests that leadership either was unfamiliar with the individuals running the Toronto FIR or does not have confidence in either of these individuals to step up in the absence of Colin.

I have personally watched a functioning group deteriorate to a skeleton of what it was just a few months previous. Frustration has grown due to inaction on resolving this situation. Whatever you're doing, I hope it's taking into account the effort invested by these individuals and it resolves itself shortly. Further, I hope moving forward that a more transparent succession plan is put in place to avoid this situation repeating itself should the new FIR chief become unavailable at some point in the future.

Hi Alan!

We will soon be starting interviews, so let me make it clear - we do not have any "finalists" for the position yet. We will reveal the successful applicant when they are.. well, successful!

Richie Queally

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver FIR
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
I don't see where you get 7 months out of. Up until May/June, Colin Willems has been FIR Chief.

Alan Walker

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi Rich, in the Toronto FIR since I have joined, Chris and Dean have been the presence running the FIR. Obviously, I can't speak to what you may have observed in the Vancouver FIR with respect to Colin. I intend no disrespect to Colin, just to say, VATCAN needs to identify when leadership is absent and act quickly to implement the succession plan. I have not observed that in this case and believe it's an area for improvement. How is that working in Vancouver? Is there a succession plan in place should the FIR chief become absent? Do the members know who is next in line?

I don't see where you get 7 months out of. Up until May/June, Colin Willems has been FIR Chief.

Richie Queally

• CZVR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver FIR
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
When Tomas resigned, the most experienced person who was willing to do it, was made acting FIR Chief, and applications for the job were posted.

What seems to have happened to Toronto, is both Colin, and Chris resigned, and there was no acting guy appointed, and there was no one put in the role as acting. That's all I can see.

Alan Walker

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »
Alright, it's been 3 weeks since I brought this up. We have conducted a poll, Dean came out ahead. Should we assume that Dean is the new FIR Chief in Toronto?

Travis Chan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »
While I would be in favour of Dean as our Chief I don’t think the leadership should ever be solely based on a popularity vote, other factors need to be considered including familiarity with the region and experience. Let’s hope we hear back from Nate soon, this has dragged in for much longer than it should have.
Travis Chan (1402756)
Deputy Division Director
travis.chan@vatcan.ca