What does your set up look like?

Jeff McMillan

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
What does your set up look like?
« on: October 12, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Hi Guys

I am interested in seeing what our fellow controllers have as there Controller Set up?  Do you just a certain headset you ike, PTT hardware, or maybe even a projection screen? What euroscope plugins or additional software do use?

Jeff McMillan (1275572)
Communications & Events Director
http://www.vatcan.ca
j.mcmillan@vatcan.ca
VATCAN5@vatcan.ca

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What does your set up look like?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
My setup is pretty simple. Just my laptop and my headset, so I can control on the road.

What is awesome is when I'm at home, for an event, I park my laptop next to my desktop and turn on TowerView!

Watching all those aircraft on the apron taxi around and push back as I cleared them during CTP last Saturday was fantastic! The only thing I wish I had for that purpose was a Track IR. The view out the window is great, but it's hard to control the view (ie. pan/zoom) using some keyboard keys when you're trying to talk to airplanes and hold down the PTT on the other computer.

I think my ideal setup would include TrackIR and then I would try to do local control without even looking at the EuroScope screen. Just look around at using TrackIR and see what his happening at the airport that way. Then I would truly feel like a real "Tower" controller, using my eyes out the window.

We also used TowerView recently during RealOps. I had my desktop hooked up to a giant TV in our conference room (control room). While we all had our own screens to focus on, there were a few times we all glanced up at the screen to see what was happening. Like the go-around on 06R. We all started watching it, then his left wing dropped almost 90 degrees. Then he suddenly vanished. We all had a good laugh over that...  ;D

For anyone who has never tried TowerView, it can be computer intensive (all those models running in FSX), but so worth it for really believing it's a whole world of airplanes under our control...
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Mark Wolpert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
Just got the 43" 4K for flight sim, makes it possible to put up 4 Euroscope screens.  I use a batch file to open everything up and a little program called Winsplit revolution to push the windows to the corners.  Screen on the left is a second computer with charts and controller docs.  Right screen is part of the FS computer, use it for TeamSpeak.

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:12:20 PM »
Wow. I'm lucky if I have more than 1 screen at work...
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Mark Wolpert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 04:30:18 PM »
I only have one at work  :-[