Unfair Practices within VATCAN

Jeff McMillan

• Members
    • View Profile
Unfair Practices within VATCAN
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
I am very disappointed with the staffing changes that have happened recently. Positions are now being filled without a formal competition. It is my opinion that these positions are going to a certain "group". For those who may not be aware here are the recent changes:

VATCAN1 - Graham Curnew - Division Director - FORMAL COMPETITION. NO ANNOUNCEMENT OF FILLING POSITION   
VATCAN2 - Vacant-Deputy Division Director - GREAT MEMBER RESIGNED FOR WHAT I CAN ONLY ASSUME IS DUE RECENT STAFFING    
VATCAN5 - Aidan Stevens - Communication and Events Director (Acting) - No Formal Competition
Oceanic Director - Nate Powers - No Formal Competition

I am starting to loose faith in the direction that VATCAN is heading in. We all put in countless hours in creating this community. I am interested in hearing how other members feel about this unfair practice?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:47:15 PM by Graham Curnew »
Jeff McMillan (1275572)
CZQM C1 Controller
jeffreyamcmillan@gmail.com

Graham Curnew

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Unfair Practices within VATCAN
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with the recent decisions made regarding the division staff.

I'd like to address your comment based on the individual positions you pointed out.

My appointment was announced by Nicola Felini, VATNA1 on the VATSIM Forums. https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74198

Mark Walsh, VATCAN2, resigned as per customary with a new incoming Division Director. This would occur regardless of who was selected as the new VATCAN1.

Nate Power was claimed to the position of Oceanic Director following an application period of 3 weeks. As no other applicants came forward. The outgoing Director requested that Nate be appointed to the position.https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74028

Aidan Stevens stepped forward to fill the role of VATCAN5 which was left vacant following Nate's appointment. His appointment is temporary, which is why the word "Acting" was added to the title. When I announced his appointment, I stated that I will be posting the permanent position in the coming weeks.

As for who is receiving these positions, they are going to who is stepping forward and submitting applications where applicable. I commend all division and FIR staff on their work as they are doing a wonderful job.

I maintain a door open policy and want to be available to address questions, comments or concerns at any time. This is why I include a telephone number in my signature on email, forums and as an avatar on TeamSpeak.

If you'd like to further address what you claim as "Unfair Practices", I ask that you please reach out to me so we can come to a mutual understanding.

Blue Skies,
Graham Curnew
Communications and Events Director - VATCAN
vatcan.ca

Matheson Shenher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have also been noticing this. It seems as though there is little transparency as to who is doing what in the executive positions. Members are appointed as quickly as they resign and I think everything is caught in a jumble of confusion.

I've also been noticing that some that are appointed or "elected" are not acting in the interest of improving our community and building our reputation. I'd like to say that it looks like there are positions being filled with no actual work being done. It looks like members are applying for the position and rewards but are not fulfilling the responsibilities that come with the rewards.

This is the exact reason why my presence has dwindled within VATCAN and has moved elsewhere.

There was an election process for Director of Oceanic Ops when the position was first made. The director at the time was doing very well and kickstarted our ocean and linked us with VATUK which would have never been done. When the director resigned, there was no call for applications that I am aware of and an appointment was made. I am not trying to say that the new director is not doing work as that is not the case. I am trying to emphasise the fact that there is little consistency with the elected positions and appointed positions. A position like Events Coordinator or Director of Oceanic Operations should be elected by a diverse panel so that way the executive doesn't become a panel of friends that fool around and don't care.

Those positions have been elected by a selection panel many times in the past but recently it has been more appointments rather than elections. This is where my frustration arises because this does not filter out the applications that are not genuine and it does not prevent them from getting an administrative position.

I hope that others can agree with myself and Jeff and hopefully, we can turn the current state around.
Cheers,

C3

Greg McCormick

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
All,

A lack of communication would appear to be the key issue here.

Graham, while I suspect you're sincere in your claim of an open-door policy, communication is required before one can truly claim to be "open door". Thus, had you posted something, anything, on the VATCAN forum, rather than rely on Nic's post on the VATSIM forum, these issues would have been addressed. A logical first place would have been to announce Mark's departure as VATCAN2, rather than just removing his name from the roster. Secondly, only Nate's position was announced, so you get credit there. There is nothing on the forum that I can locate for Adrian's appointment; if its there, its well hidden, which lends to the problem.

Jeff and Matheson are right to call out apparent issues, and you've addressed Jeff's directly, which is the correct response. But again, if communication from the top is had, issues are resolved before they become issues.

Perhaps I might suggest you start communicating your vision to the division. In doing so, you'll display the transparency and open-door policy you claim to have, and may seek the engagement from the rest of the division.

Greg
VATCAN8 - FIR Chief Moncton/Gander

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with the recent decisions made regarding the division staff.

I'd like to address your comment based on the individual positions you pointed out.

My appointment was announced by Nicola Felini, VATNA1 on the VATSIM Forums. https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74198

Mark Walsh, VATCAN2, resigned as per customary with a new incoming Division Director. This would occur regardless of who was selected as the new VATCAN1.

Nate Power was claimed to the position of Oceanic Director following an application period of 3 weeks. As no other applicants came forward. The outgoing Director requested that Nate be appointed to the position.https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74028

Aidan Stevens stepped forward to fill the role of VATCAN5 which was left vacant following Nate's appointment. His appointment is temporary, which is why the word "Acting" was added to the title. When I announced his appointment, I stated that I will be posting the permanent position in the coming weeks.

As for who is receiving these positions, they are going to who is stepping forward and submitting applications where applicable. I commend all division and FIR staff on their work as they are doing a wonderful job.

I maintain a door open policy and want to be available to address questions, comments or concerns at any time. This is why I include a telephone number in my signature on email, forums and as an avatar on TeamSpeak.

If you'd like to further address what you claim as "Unfair Practices", I ask that you please reach out to me so we can come to a mutual understanding.

Blue Skies,

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:17 PM »
When was the last time all of Canada was staffed up? We can barely get guys on but you want to point out "unfair practices"? I had a friend joining and wanted to get started as a controller and he hasn't heard from his FIR yet. That's the issues i want to see addressed. Y'all want to complain about the staffing change, then i challenge you to tell me what the heck you'd do to get VATCAN staffed up because that's want i want to see. I don't care about the VATCAN1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 957. I care about getting controllers on. Getting people trained on positions. Heck i didn't even knew who had those positions before you complained. Y'all want to get into a pissing contest then go ahead but that won't do [MOD - This is a family forum]. As we say in French: "Donnez la chance au coureur." and let's see what they can do.

Graham Curnew

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
Hello,

Thank you for your input into this discussion. I appreciate it!

Aidan's appointment was announced on the VATSIM forums. https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74237

I can agree that not everything posted onto the VATSIM forums made it onto the VATCAN forums. Something I will correct moving forward. This seems to be where these problems are stemming from.

I was shocked to find that I did not announce Mark Walsh's resignation. An oversight on my part for sure, something I will be fixing immediately following this reply.

If anyone else has any concerns, I'd be more than happy to address them.
Graham Curnew
vatcan.ca

Nathan Power

• CZWG Staff
    • View Profile
    • Winnipeg FIR
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:15:58 PM »
Hello all,

I certainly agree with Graham that there have been some issues regarding official postings of jobs for VATCAN. From my point of view, the Oceanic Director job (my new position) was indeed promoted through the VATCAN website for the time applications were open, and there was certainly a lengthy wait before any final decisions were made. Obviously, I cannot speak for any other jobs or their corresponding members, but I am not aware of any irregularities regarding selections of said members.

If anyone has any questions whatsoever, do not hesitate at all to send me an e-mail. I'll be sure to get back to everyone.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:40:12 PM by Nathan Power »

Matheson Shenher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:22:44 PM »
Well said, Greg.

I believe this is a simple resolution. Communication needs to be the first and foremost importance.

With that, I think this is handled.

Thanks for keeping things civil  ;D
Cheers,

C3

Rob Nabieszko

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
If I may also make a suggestion, Graham.

While it is inappropriate to name those who were not selected for a position, I think it is important to thank the applicants.

In the interest of transparency, I think the number of applicants for a position should be mentioned when the appointment is announced, just to show how much interest there was (or was not) in a given position.

It has been a frequent issue that these 'appointments' are the result of only a single candidate applying, as it is challenging to find enough dedicated individuals to fulfil all the positions on VATCAN. Often the selection committee is hamstrung by the fact that only one person applies. Ergo, the one person is offered the job.

For those who believe that there is some kind of special reward for being named a VATCAN staff member, believe me, there is not. It is more work than anyone ever recognizes (unless they've held the position), with no reward other than the satisfaction of helping propel this organization forward. Those who volunteer for these positions are just that, volunteers. They receive no reward, monetary or otherwise. They do it to make VATCAN a better place.

And just because someone is not selected for a position does not mean they cannot volunteer to assist the person appointed. Many times there are other 'helpers' behind the scenes who help organize events, organize training, maintain our web servers, etc. So please, if you have ideas to help, please contact the relevant staff member. They will be grateful for the help.

Rob
Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3
Director of Training, VATCAN
rnczyzcontrol@gmail.com

Eldon Wilson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
Rob has an excellent point!
I can speak to this 100% as former Vatcan 3 and I3
The work that goes on behind the scenes takes an incredible about of time and collaboration with other members of the
Vatcan team.
The biggest criticism is one more or cooperation rather than even communications. It is very disheartening to spend the time and effort on a project, have a general TS meeting, have every on collectively nod their heads, hang up on TS and all go back to do what "THEY" want to do, not what is for the good of Vatcan/Vatsim
We wonder why all the FIR's positions are not light up across the country, but listen the the pilots who make up the other side of the mic. They are flying elsewhere because of the lack of consistency in the FIR's ATC activity but more over, the quality of the ATC.
Lets get our acts together, or the future of this "Gaming" outlet is questionable, there is just to much competition out ther.
If I may also make a suggestion, Graham.

While it is inappropriate to name those who were not selected for a position, I think it is important to thank the applicants.

In the interest of transparency, I think the number of applicants for a position should be mentioned when the appointment is announced, just to show how much interest there was (or was not) in a given position.

It has been a frequent issue that these 'appointments' are the result of only a single candidate applying, as it is challenging to find enough dedicated individuals to fulfil all the positions on VATCAN. Often the selection committee is hamstrung by the fact that only one person applies. Ergo, the one person is offered the job.

For those who believe that there is some kind of special reward for being named a VATCAN staff member, believe me, there is not. It is more work than anyone ever recognizes (unless they've held the position), with no reward other than the satisfaction of helping propel this organization forward. Those who volunteer for these positions are just that, volunteers. They receive no reward, monetary or otherwise. They do it to make VATCAN a better place.

And just because someone is not selected for a position does not mean they cannot volunteer to assist the person appointed. Many times there are other 'helpers' behind the scenes who help organize events, organize training, maintain our web servers, etc. So please, if you have ideas to help, please contact the relevant staff member. They will be grateful for the help.

Rob
[/b]

Jeff McMillan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
When was the last time all of Canada was staffed up? We can barely get guys on but you want to point out "unfair practices"? I had a friend joining and wanted to get started as a controller and he hasn't heard from his FIR yet. That's the issues i want to see addressed. Y'all want to complain about the staffing change, then i challenge you to tell me what the heck you'd do to get VATCAN staffed up because that's want i want to see. I don't care about the VATCAN1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 957. I care about getting controllers on. Getting people trained on positions. Heck i didn't even knew who had those positions before you complained. Y'all want to get into a pissing contest then go ahead but that won't do [MOD - This is a family forum]. As we say in French: "Donnez la chance au coureur." and let's see what they can do.

Jean Francois Mayer, in my opion, your view is part of the problem.... if you want controllers to "staff up Canada" you have to keep them engaged and happy. If they are frustrated and tired with politics from the executive team then they loose the desire to participate. I see tons of our controllers who are frustrated and barely control now ....they have gone back to being the pilots on VATSIM. In turn that decreases the overall traffic we see in Vatcan airspace.

It is very clear.. if you want more controllers you need to engage them. Communication is key! Communication makes everyone feel well informed and part of the community. I barely know anyone that checks the VATSIM FORUM.  Send emails to all members when there is news and post on our forum so we can ask questions, post on the VATCAN facebook page. Let's try a newsletter or something. Maybe find a Communication Officer to help improve Communication.

Every needs to talk. Monthly FIR staff meeting, meet and greets and such.....

and you need strong leadership to do this.
Jeff McMillan (1275572)
CZQM C1 Controller
jeffreyamcmillan@gmail.com

Aidan Stevens

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
It is very clear.. if you want more controllers you need to engage them. Communication is key! Communication makes everyone feel well informed and part of the community. I barely know anyone that checks the VATSIM FORUM.  Send emails to all members when there is news and post on our forum so we can ask questions, post on the VATCAN facebook page. Let's try a newsletter or something. Maybe find a Communication Officer to help improve Communication.

Hi Jeff,

You raise some really interesting points, and I’ll definitely take them into consideration. I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Graham Curnew

• VATCAN Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 01:24:13 AM »
Hello,

I will be taking all of these suggestions into consideration for upcoming staff announcements among other ideas.

I will be holding a VATCAN Town Hall in the weeks to come to discuss items, some of which were mentioned on this post. More details will be released as they become available.

Thanks,
Graham Curnew
vatcan.ca